February 11-15, 2019, the UB Libraries will be celebrating Love Data Week (lovedataweek.org) – a global event raising awareness of critical issues related to data management, use, and preservation. We have three workshops on North Campus next week, all held in 310 Silverman Library:
- Data Organization in Spreadsheets (Monday 2/11, 1-2pm)
- Ever wondered if you’re formatting your spreadsheets efficiently? In this workshop we share some best practices for organizing spreadsheet data!
- Play with Data (& Play-doh™)! (Wednesday 2/13, 1-2pm)
- If you’re curious about n-grams, corpus analysis, or social network analysis – or what those terms even mean! – we cover the very basics of playing with different types of textual data in this hands-on introductory workshop.
- Wikidata Workshop and Edit-a-thon (Friday 2/15, 12-1pm workshop & 1-4pm edit-a-thon)
- Join us to learn about how the open database that powers Wikipedia is structured, and help improve its accuracy by playing games! (The Distributed Game is an interactive way to update and correct Wikidata entries – no prior experience needed.)
In addition, a workshop is being offered on South Campus on Research Data Management Essentials (Thursday 2/14, 10:30am-12pm, 130 Abbott Hall), which covers some best practices for creating, sharing, and preserving research data in the health sciences and sciences.