Now beginning the Spring 2018 round of Help-a-Linguist-Fund. Funds are available!
Deadline for Spring 2018 submissions is May 17, 2018 — or check with a GLA officer.
The Help-a-Linguist-Fund (HaLF) is a Graduate Linguistics Association initiative which provides funding for graduate students to alleviate the costs associated with presenting at conferences and conducting fieldwork or research.
In previous years, a certain amount of money has been set aside from the GLA budget for HaLF and this money has been allocated to applicants at the end of the academic year. This year, GLA members have voted to establish two funding rounds. Both rounds will reimburse successful applicants for research activities. However, introducing two separate rounds means that students may submit applications for early review and, if successful, receive reimbursement earlier in the year. It also means that the GLA has more flexibility about how much of the GLA budget is allocated to HaLF over the course of the academic year.
Applicants should be aware that they may not receive the full amount requested, however many times they apply.
Applicants may submit multiple applications for different research activities, but a maximum of $200 for a conference, research, or fieldwork, may be granted to any individual. Submitted applications will be distributed to GLA members in the week following the deadline. Students will then consider each submission and vote to approve or deny the application. Students will also vote on how much funding is to be awarded to each applicant.
- Applicant must satisfy one of the following conditions:
- presenting at a linguistics-related conference. Attending without presenting at a conference is not grounds for support. Applicants may receive a maximum of $200.00 for presenting.
- conducting linguistics-related research. Funds can be appropriated for compensating experiment participants, but applicant must maintain and follow standard IRB protocol. Applicants may receive a maximum of $200.00 for research-related expenses, per Graduate Student Association policies.
- travelling for field work. Applicants may receive a maximum of $200.00 for field work.
- For applicants seeking conference assistance, you must have first exhausted Graduate Student Association and departmental conference funds before applying to the Help-a-Linguist Fund. If you have applied to one of these funds but have been denied, i.e. you have not exhausted the available external funds, then the GLA will vote on whether to accept or deny your application, contingent upon the reasons of the denial.
- Preference will be given to applicants who are requesting Help-a-Linguist Fund monies for the first time.
- The deadline for applications for the Spring 2018 round is May 17, 2018. Further information is available through this website, the listserv, and through the Facebook page.
- Submit all receipts together with all the necessary paperwork (identical to the GSA Conference Fund requirements).
- Funds will be made available as soon as possible after your application has been approved.